While Amber Sargent is one of my newer people to follow on Instagram, she’s quickly cemented herself as a firm favourite with her cosy yet luxurious style – whether it be home, beauty or lifestyle content. Self-described as a twenty-something with a love for neutrals, beauty and interiors, Amber has a knack for curating the most gorgeous of Instagram feeds – seriously go check it out. And I don’t know how she does it, but she has inspired me so much this year, especially when it comes to her cooking – I’m a new convert to roasted cauliflower steaks!
But you know I’m a big old beauty fanatic, so after I had watched yet another of her GRWM videos on Stories, I decided it was time to invite Amber to participate in my favourite blog series ‘5 Minutes With…’ to kick off the week with a bang!
- Where did your love of beauty and skincare come from, has it always been there? I remember first getting into beauty during my freshman year of college. I got my first macbook and started watching beauty tutorials religiously on youtube – mind you, this was back in 2009, so think Blair Fowler, aka Juicystar07 and Tanya Burr (my favorite at the time). I loved all the beauty chats, learning more about how to take care of my skin, and recreating tutorials in my bedroom. Been hooked ever since!
- What are your favourite skincare ingredients, and why? I tend to be on the dryer side, so I love incorporating oils to help nourish my skin. One of my favorites is the Kora Organics Noni Glow Face Oil. It’s filled with oils that are rich in fatty acids and antioxidants (noni, rosehip and pomegranate oils). Equally as important are exfoliating acids. I typically go for AHAs, like lactic and glycolic acids to help peel away dead skin and help with any texture and/or fine lines. Nourishment + regular exfoliation = happy glowing skin!
- What are your favourite beauty treatments? I don’t get too crazy with beauty treatments (I’ve never even had my brows waxed!) but I love a good face and hair masking session in the bath. For my face I love a charcoal mask (Origins Clear Improvement is one of my favorites), and for hair, I love Olaplex and the Joico Moisture Recovery mask. Another tried and true beauty product is my Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant, it’s truly a skin saver. Got chapped lips, sun burns, dry skin? It’s a cure all! I have had one by my bedside since college, an oldie but a goodie.
- With regards to skin therapists and dermatologists, whose opinion or knowledge do you trust and believe in? I think many people can benefit from seeing a dermatologist, but my best advice is to do your research and be your own skin advocate. No one knows your skin like you do. So do your research, experiment with different ingredients, diets, read scientific articles online (they’re so many available these days!) to get a better understanding of what works for your skin.
- What are your thoughts on botox and fillers etc? Although I haven’t dabbled in the botox and filler world myself, I know others who have and are extremely happy with their results. I like the idea of keeping your natural features, but if you feel the need to amp something up, why not! Do you!
- What would you like to try next; product, service or treatment? Just this week I started incorporating retinol into my routine. I’m about to turn thirty in less than six months, so figured it’d be a good time to start!
- What is your favourite beauty magazine, and/or who are you listening/watching to in podcasts, Instagram or Youtube? I’m a big fan of Into the Gloss, definitely my go-to online beauty magazine that I’ve read for years. I also love listening to the Him & Her podcast hosted by The Skinny Confidential, watching Sandra on youtube, and Dara Kaye on instagram! I love hearing their thoughts and product reviews across the mediums.
*This post may contain affiliate links for which I receive a commission at no extra cost to you, which assists to support and maintain my freelance writing and this website.